Exactly 2 years ago today (thanks Timehop app), I made a list of 30 things I wanted to do before 30. At the time I had 1200 days to mark all these things off my list. As of today, I have 464 days.
After reading through this list (that I have barely looked at since creating ), I have realized a couple things. First, 27 year old Ashley was a bit delusional about money still. It would have cost me thousands of dollars to complete all the things on this list. Oh 27 year old Ashley, you are cute! Second, some of the things on this list, I really have no desire to do or just aren’t a priority. Third, the really important things are ready to be crossed off.
With Just 464 days to go, I am reevaluating some items and replacing some things. Her’es a look.
- Go skydiving-Nope not even remotely interested in this one now. It’s not that I don’t want to do it, it’s just not something I feel like I have to do before 30. I’ll do it someday and that’s enough for me.
Replacement: Buy a nice couch– Is that weird? I just want to invest in a nice couch that I really love (along with furnishing my next place with lots of pretty things)
- Vacation in Italy – Nope! Actually Italy isn’t even at the top of my list anymore. Again, I know I will make it there someday, just not before 30.
Replacement: Visit somewhere I have never been.
- Learn to golf– I haven’t done this yet, but I would still like to, so Golfing, you get to stay.
- Buy a home– I’m keeping this on the list, but I don’t think I will actually be able to buy a home until I am thirty. Who knows, maybe life will surprise me!
- Begin graduate school- I don’t know if I want my Masters degree anymore, and I don’t know where I would have time to fit it in.
Replacement: Continue my education through classes and workshops.
Get paid to blog.Check! So what if it was only a few times?
- Get a DSLR camera– Still hoping I get one. I do us my grandparents, but I would like a fancy one of my own.
- Road trip across the U.S.-staying on the list.
- Pay off all credit card debt- If everything stays on track, this will happen in approximately 6 months! Hooray!
- Reach 500 followers on my blog-Check, and a name change too!
- Host a Favorite Things party- No, just no. While I’d like to give away nice things to people, I can’t afford that.
Replacement: Donate my time and extra things to people less fortunate.
- Have season tickets to a professional sports team- While it would be cool to be a “regular at a sporting venue, I’ll settle for something a little easier.
Replacement: See my first live NFL game– it’s true, I’ve never been!
- Go on a cruise- planning to go in January!
- Go scuba diving- There is certification that has to happen. That sounds time consuming.
Replacement: Go snorkeling
- Take a winery tour of Napa Valley– I am amending this on to just take a winery tour.
Move to a new state–(and then move back)
- Lose 50 lbs.– 20 down… about 65 more to go.
- Run a 1/2 marathon-I just don’t think i like running enough to ever run 13.1 miles.
Replacement: Complete a sprint triathlon– I could totally run a 5K swim a half mile and (learn how to) ride a bike 12 miles
- Learn to paddle board– Why I didn’t try this while I was living in CA I will never know. I did go on a few kayaking adventures though!
- Learn how to ride a bike– which will be of paramount importance for the triathlon- see above.
- Get a dog– I need a companion.
- Do an Urban race– They look so fun!
- Go on a hot air balloon ride- Um, I think I envisioned this as something romantic I would do, but since I am currently single, I would rather…
Replacement: Go see Britney in Vegas in August with my besties!
Start my own business-Boom!
- Go white water rafting- Again, I want to do this, but I won’t be upset if it doesn’t happen before 30.
Replacement: Spend a day at my favorite spot in Payson. I haven’t gone in 4 years. It;s time I make a return!
Learn another language– I had originally intended for this to be Spanish or French, but ‘ve been learning web codeing and I think that counts. Live near the beach– Been there, done that!
- Make something old new again- Probably some furniture for the new place.
- Write a book- I have started probably 20 different books over the last 15 years, but none have ever gotten finished. I really want to finish one and submit it for publishing.
- Hike the Grand Canyon– This just doesn’t sound that appealing anymore.
Replacement: Go camping. I’ve never really been camping. I like the idea of it, but I have never done it.